Sunday, September 11, 2011

Dane's first day

Last Tuesday was Dane's first day of Kindergarten.  He made it through the first week (4 days due to the holiday) with no problems and seems to love it!
He has to catch the bus by 6:50 am, so he was stifling a yawn as I took this picture!

We walked him down to the end of the driveway to wait for the bus.  Our dog and a couple of the kittens followed us as well.  I had given him a new watch as a "going to school" gift that morning, so he was checking to see if the big hand was almost on the 10 yet.

Here comes the bus.



Away he goes!

He arrives to school around 7:30 and they offer breakfast since classes don't start until 8:15.  Nora and I went up to the school just to make sure he had done well, and he was happily eating breakfast with some of his new friends.  We took this quick picture and left him to enjoy his day!

Nora can't wait to go to school too!
Later that day, Nora and I were outside waiting for the afternoon bus to bring Dane home.  The bus pulled up to the end of our driveway and stopped briefly, but then it pulled away without anyone getting off.  I ran down the driveway, and the driver backed up to talk to me.  He said that Dane was not on the bus, even though his schedule said he was supposed to be.  I panicked a bit but had him call on the radio to see if he could locate Dane.  Sure enough, Dane was on the wrong bus.  His teacher had kindly labeled his shirt with a big sticker with his name, parents' names, address, bus route and driver name. But he somehow hadn't switched buses midway as he was supposed to, even though there was extra help for the kindergarteners that first day.  So Dane rode the bus for an hour and a half and ended up right back at the school where I picked him up.  Luckily, he though it had been a grand adventure and couldn't wait to tell me all about his day! Since then, he has had no bus problems, even though he was picked up and dropped off at two different daycares the rest of the week.

2 comments:

Joellyn said...

Yikes! I would have panicked too. Sarah rides the bus also but fortunately doesn't have to deal with anything complicated. She rides with her big sister so its a piece of cake. In fact her bus driver was one of my old teachers, and even my Dad's old teacher! Gotta live small towns. And gotta love our adorable little Kindergarteners!

Jen said...

I love the obligatory, "Okay, Mom, I'll stop here and let you take my pic" picture of Dane just before he's about to get on the bus! haha! Too cute. :)

YIKES to the end of the day, though! Scary! I would have been in a panic, too! It says a lot about Dane's personality, though, that he took it as an adventure. I've seen it go the other way (meaning it was NOT an adventure and ended with a very panicked child, too). I'm glad that he's loving school, though! Such big changes for such a little man! :)