Tuesday, January 04, 2011

A bluebird day

Happy 2011!  We had wonderful holidays here, but our cameras were relatively inactive.  We spent Christmas with Mike's siblings and families, eating, laughing, skiing, eating more.  We had to fight some weather to get to our destination near Redwing for the weekend.  We were planning to head to my parents' to see in the New Year this past weekend, but plans were put on hold due to 1) an awful stomach bug that I fought for 24 hours and have been crossing my fingers since that nobody else catches and 2) more blizzards.  We stayed cozy at home, braving the outdoors from time to time to play in the snow.  To get a little idea of how much wind and snow we've had over the past couple of weeks, take a look at the picture of our house in the previous post.  Those two snow fences in the foreground are nearly covered, with only about 6 inches showing above the drifts.
Today, I decided to pull out the camera again while I stayed home with the kids.  (Actually, I ended up using my phone for almost all of these photos.)  The morning was beautiful, although very cold.  Yes, the thermometer says almost -20*.
 The kids spent the morning playing while I cleaned house.  I thought this was a pretty funny combination on Nora: her pretty "princess" skirt along with Dane's play work goggles.
 Playing a "duet."  Dane has actually taken a liking to the piano recently and will sit and try to play instead of just banging on the keys. 
 I feel so fortunate that my grandparents gave us this beautiful old piano last spring when they moved from their farm into a smaller townhome.  Sorry, you can't actually see much of the piano in these pictures.
This afternoon, the clear blue sky finally enticed us outside.  It was only about 10* but calm.   
 The frosty trees were so beautiful against the blue sky.  Can you believe these next 2 pictures, straight from my cell phone camera, unedited?  Love the contrast of the white on blue.

 We headed out to the hill in our pasture for some sledding.

Isn't she beautiful? 
 After a few runs in the toboggan, the kids found this drift and made "penguin slides" down its side.



 I'm sure you've seen plenty of shots of our barn, but I'll just add in this last one.
Good luck with those resolutions!  (I didn't make any this year...)

2 comments:

Hilary said...

Amanda, these winter pictures of yours are amazing!! So beautiful it's hard to believe they're even real, if that makes any sense :) Please, keep 'em coming!! :)

Herod Happenings said...

Your pictures are beautiful, almost makes we wish we had snow down here....almost!! :) The one of Nora is gorgeous. Sounds like you are enjoying your winter!