Thursday, June 05, 2008

Figs, Cookies and Fig Cookies

When we moved here in January 2005, there was a little twig of a tree in a corner of our backyard (see below arrow- you may have to enlarge the photo). Luckily, it bore a tag which identified it as a fig tree, or it may not have been left to grow!
Each year it has grown and produced a few more figs. I think there were two the first year, and just a couple more each year thereafter. This year it suddenly exploded in size and fruit.
I picked these about 5 days ago...
...and I picked these this afternoon. Plus, I picked up about 6 more that had fallen off and spoiled because I wasn't paying attention. I had no idea how quickly figs could ripen.
The tree still has many immature figs on it, and new little green ones keep showing up every day. The figs we have picked so far are quite large. Here are two in my hand.
Earlier this week, we got a cute surprise package in the mail from Sarah.Inside were some homemade ginger snaps. They had been sitting in the mailbox in the sun, so they were about as good as fresh from the oven! Dane couldn't get enough!!
Tonight I found a recipe to make some cookies using some of the fresh figs since we're not eating them all quickly enough. They turned out great as well, but I've been pretty faithful in limiting my intake of all these temptations due to my high blood sugars. I had to undergo a rather unpleasant 3-hour glucose tolerance test on Saturday which did come back normal, but I had a couple of high tests last Wednesday and Thursday, so I'm trying to be pretty cautious about my carb and sugar intake. We have another appointment tomorrow, and we should find out when our c-section will be scheduled. We're figuring sometime in the next 1-2 weeks since I reached the 36-week point yesterday. We'll keep everyone posted!

No comments: