Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Just to pick apples...

Our apple tree is loaded this fall, so I have been busy picking apples and making everything apple that you can imagine.  I have picked off most of the apples within my reach, so today I decided to get out our step ladder so I could pick more.
Thus began my farmyard tour.  I first headed over to our detached garage.  Not there...
 How about in the little red shed that Mike made as a high school shop class project?  Not there...
 Not likely to be the the "Grandma house" (Mike's Grandma Myrtle's old summer kitchen turned play house), so I didn't look there.
 In the garden shed?  Nope.
 How about the "House of Relatives" (dubbed by Mike's parents, and the name has stuck)? Not in there...
 In the old car garage that now houses all the kids' bikes, tractors, trikes? No luck...
 Didn't look in this building either, for obvious reasons... (did you know it's a two-holer?)
 The hayloft of the barn had 3 larger ladders, but not the step ladder.
 In the grainery turned 4-wheeler shed?  Guess not...
 How about the M&M shed (just take a wild guess why it got that name!)? Not there...
 Well, it must be in the machine shed.  Or not...
Frustrated after looking in all these out buildings, and covering a lot of ground in doing so, I called Mike at work.  "Did you check the old milk house?"  Nope, but I guess I should have...

Yes, we have quite the collection of buildings here on our place.  I love the character they add.  And talk about storage space!  Both Mike and I have family tendencies to "collect" stuff, so we'll have to make extra effort to keep the clutter to a minimum!
So back to the apples.  I have been spending lots of time in the kitchen with my faithful corer/peeler/slicer my hubby picked up for me at Fleet Farm.  The end result?  Frozen apple slices, apple pie, apple crisp, apple muffins, apple cheese pizza, crockpot apple sauce (to die for), this sinful creation, and fresh apple cider that I
was making in these pictures.


4 comments:

Jenny said...

I enjoyed the picture tour of your sheds even more since I've been to them all in person!
All those apple things sound wonderful...don't you love the apple p/c/s?

Deena said...

Must say, I'm glad it took you soooo long to find the step ladder, that way we got treated to the whole ten-dollar tour =) Your farm is beautiful and awesome! What a great place to raise your family.

Joellyn said...

This is a great post! :) We have a lot of outbuildings too (and a lot of equipment sitting outside) but none of them are as old and picturesque as yours. In the 70's they just built big metal buildings. The older farmstead down the road had some big barns (one that my dad burned down when he was a kid- oops!)

sabrina said...

Wow, you HAVE been busy!! We live near the "Apple Capital of MN" so I go to the apple market alot this time of year to make those very treats you mentioned. Your's is a better deal. . .right from your own trees!