Saturday, October 10, 2009

Viva Bike Vegas

We've had an eventful weekend so far! Last night, we headed downtown for a Pasta Party to kick off today's Viva Bike Vegas ride. Mike had to work, since the After-School All-Stars were one of the benefitting charities from the ride, so we met him there. My big helper, Dane, loves to push his little sister in the stroller.


Downtown, enjoying pasta and carb-loading for the upcoming ride! Dane was enthralled by all the lights above.

Kiddos on the move!



This morning, we left the house bright and early. Mike had to help set up for all the activities, and the ride started at 6:30 am. Of course, it's not a Vegas event without Elvis! The MC in the background just happens to be my Wednesday morning spin class instructor- what a coincidence. He was a bit bummed to be working instead of riding, as was Mikey!
Gearing up.
Waiting with the pack for the start of the race. It was just getting light as we left.
It was a beautiful day and a beautiful ride. My first 100- kilometer ride (62 miles) in about 3 hours and 55 minutes, including a 15-minute aid stop and frequent stop lights over the last 12 miles. It included a few big climbs, but I was really helped out by a group of bigger guys that let me draft off them for the last 15 miles. Here's a look at the elevation chart. That climb from mile 30 to 37 was quite a challenge!


Frank (one of the students in the All-Stars programs), myself and Mike after the ride.


Mike shot this video of the start of the ride. Lots of riders, and he even missed the first minute or so. Check out the tandem bikes!





5 comments:

Jen said...

That's awesome, Amanda!! Good for you!! I do NOT enjoy road biking and so I'm just always impressed when I "meet" folks that enjoy it so much. We need people like YOU to support the road biking business because they won't see ME in there anytime soon! ha! Anyway, I hope you had fun with it! It sure looks like you did, anyway! Thanks for sharing!

Deana said...

Did your guys' route go onto ft.Apache on the south west side? I remember seeing a TON of bikes on saturday.

G,V,T & T said...

Well done Amanda - I remember my brother doing something similar a few years ago and he had one sore butt the next day, so hope you are not feeling too sore! Gav's going to do a half marathon out at the Lake on Oct 31st if you want to join him!

Dave and Jodie said...

Nice work!!!

Mel B Marvis said...

Did I see a guy in jeans at around the 2:00 mark of the movie? That's gotta hurt - he might have needed the sag wagon by the end.