Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I'm an addict.

My latest craving is avocado smoothies with boba. I got hooked when Nora was only 4 days old. Mom and I went out for bubble tea, and I decided to try their avocado smoothie. I loved it, so I got home and looked for recipes online after ordering some boba and straws. I found a couple, but I ended up concocting my own after combining a few. Now, I live on these. I think it is my lunch 2-3 days out of the week.
My recipe (very precise):
I boil some water for my boba, and add them. I love these, because they're ready in only 5 minutes versus a half hour for most. In a blender, I combine 1 small Hass avocado, about 1 tbsp. honey, 2-3 tbsp. sweetened condensed milk, some skim milk, and ice. Blend it up good. After the boba are cooked, I drain off the water and add a little honey and sugar and let them sit for a few minutes. Pour the smoothie into a cup, add the boba, and enjoy! I really never measure any of the ingredients, so it's all a matter of taste and texture preference!
It's probably a little too laden with sugar to be healthy, but tastes so good on a hot summer day!
For now, I remain happily addicted. However, if in the future I want to quit, I have made the first step- admitting my addiction!

7 comments:

Wrena said...

Where do you find something like this in public? Sounds good though! We live on cold items during the summer too!! Great Find!

Mike, Amanda, Dane, and Nora said...

I've only had them at bubble tea shops. I don't know if there are any in your area.

Dave and Jodie said...

A great post with a lovely presentation of a vivid green smoothie setoff by a contrasting color straw and a lovely granite countertop! :) Sluuuurrrppp!

sabrina said...

I am going to have to order some of those black pearls from that site you shared. Ever since I had bubble tea a month ago at that place on Grand Ave. there are days when that's all I can think about. It was a symphony for my mouth!! I'll have to try your avacado recipe too. I love avacados!

Anonymous said...

We actually have a tea shop in downtown Fargo that have boba teas - TeaBerry :D

I heard the avacado ones are to die for :D Might have to venture down there one of these days - i have heard nothing but great things!!!

--Jodie R.

Jessica said...

Im coming over =0)
Finally I hear of someone else who loves bubble teas! Where did u go? I haven't had one in years... we used to go for them all the time back when and ill have to try this avacado one sounds yummy

Jayna said...

Hey Amanda! This boba recipe looks yummy. I'll have to try it. I was quite excited to discover that there are a TON of boba/bubble tea shops in SLC! I don't know if there are any out by where Wrena lives, but I've been to a couple in West Valley City, Downtown Salt Lake and over by our house in Cottonwood Heights. You can also buy the boba balls and straws in asian markets in town. Fun!